A research from UK Government indicate that the implementation of the digital technologies seems to have had a positive impact on prisoners and staff
Bringing together the key findings from the research, overall, the implementation of the digital technologies seems to have had a positive impact on prisoners and staff and met many of the expected outcomes, particularly the in-cell telephones.
The specific questions addressed whether prison technology:
- Increases access to and improves the communication of knowledge withinprisons for both prisoners and staff
- Improves prisoner confidence in using IT
- Improves prisoner relationships with staff, other prisoners and those outside of the prison, and reduces prison violence
- Increases staff job satisfaction and prisoner wellbeing
- Reduces prison officer time spent completing key activities/tasks