Meeting in January 2017 in Strasbourg, the Conference of INGOs of the Council of Europe brought together some 300 INGO delegates, experts, parliamentarians and permanent representatives of Council of Europe member states who discussed several major issues of concern today:
- freedom of expression and of association in Turkey following the attempted coup on 15 July 2016,
- the situation of NGOs in member States at a time when civil society space is shrinking,
- the regulation of the activities of multinationals for a better respect of human rights and local development,
- the surveillance of lawyers and the need for standards safeguarding client confidentiality,
- the information society, progress made and the threats facing public authorities and NGO.
Other subjects discussed in the thematic committees included “education for active democratic citizenship – its impact in the struggle against radicalisation” with the participation of the First Deputy Mayor of Molenbeek and “Democracy: transparency and sustainable partnership through Open Government Partnership”.
The following texts where adopted: